Varanasi to Kathmandu by Road
If you are in a mood for an adventurous and long drive, you can try out the scenic Varanasi to Kathmandu drive. It might end as a hectic and tiring ride as the distance between the two is almost 500 km and it takes about 10 hours to cover the entire route. You will also have to pay border taxes before entering into Nepal. Total fuel cost of the entire journey will be around Rs 2000. Also be extra careful of the bumpy potholed roads. Also do not make the mistake of driving during monsoons.
If you are game for a 500 km drive from Varanasi to Kathmandu, we can make your life a little easy. Here’s a detailed road map for your road trip.
- Begin your journey by taking National Highway 29
- After 2.9km drive, take a left to Sanskrit University Road.
- 450m on Sanskrit University Road take a right to Premchand Road
- After driving a distance of 1.5 km take right to Gautam Buddha Rajpath Road
- Then take a right to catch State Highway 36
- After a long drive through State Highway 36, take right to National Highway 29
- After some distance take right to Rauza Road and eventually fall on National Highway 19
- 8.1 km on NH 19 take left to Ghazipur Kasimabad Road
- The road will lead you to Rasra Kasimabad Marg
- After 20km turn right to catch State Highway 34
- On SH 34 take your 1st left to Rasra - Nagra Road
- The road will lead you to MDR 150E
- After a kilometre take left towards Main Road
- You will eventually fall on State Highway 1
- After 6.5 km of drive take a right turn to Salempur Bhagalpur Road
- Then take a right to State Highway 72
- After 16.1 km take a left turn to BR SH 47
- Then again a right turn to Siwan - Mairwa - Guthani Road
- The road will lead you to Rajendra Path
- After crossing Siwan - Barharia - Sarfara Road take a right to BR SH 53/NH 28
- Take a left turn after 39 km to BR SH 54
- After a long drive through BR SH 54 take left to Bagaha Dhala
- On about 550 m on Bagaha Dhala, take your first right that will lead to AH 42/NH 28A
- Again a right to Sirsiya Bridge/AH 42/NH 28A
- A long drive and you will reach your first right that wil lead you to Tribhuvan Hwy/H02
- The road will eventually continue to Mahendra Rajmarga
- At the roundabout, you have to take 2nd exit towards Tribhuvan Rajpath
- Move along straight to Kulekhani - Sisneri - Pharping Road
- Kulekhani Road will continue as F180 after travelling quite a distance
- Then take your first right towards Tribhuvan Rajpath
- After 4.3 km you will fall on Kalankisthan Road, from there take left to Ring Road
- At a roundabout, follow the 3rd exit towards Pashupati Road
- 700m on Pashupati road take a left to Rudramati Marg and you have reached your final destination, Nepal's capital Kathmandu.
Buses from Varanasi to Kathmandu
There are no direct buses from Varanasi to Kathmandu. A 10-hour-drive to Indo-Nepal borders and again a 10 hours drive from Nepal borders to Kathmandu is the only option. There are a number of buses that travel to Indo-Nepal border from Varanasi.