Electricity in Varanasi
PuVVNL came into operations on July 5, 2003 and since then it has been supplying electricity to over 33 hundred thousand consumers over eastern UP. PuVVNL covers as many as 21 districts of east UP and those are Azamgarh, Daulia, Varanasi, Jaunpur, Ballia, Chandauli, Ghazipur, Mirzapur, Mau, Sonbhadra, Sant Rabidas Nagar, Gorapkhpur, Sant Kabir Nagar, Kaushambi, Pratapgarh, Fatehpur, Basti, Kushi Nagar, Siddharth Nagar, Maharajganj and Allahabad. There are four zonal offices of PuVVNL in Varanasi, Allahabad, Gorakhpur and Azamgarh.
As per Electricity Act, 2003 PuVVNL is entitled to join hands with private distribution franchisee in order to diminish commercial loses and aggregate distribution. The Act has also enable PuVVNL to work on its billing, metering and revenue collection services, reducing current assets due to arrears and improve customer service.
Functions of PuVVNL
- It regulates the distribution, utilization, supply and purchase of electricity.
- Sets tariff and other charges according to customer’s satisfaction.
- PuVVNL promotes safety and economy in the use of energy
- Issues licenses as per the Act
- PuVVNL supervises and manages the assets, interests and properties related to electricity industry with its territorial jurisdiction.
- It provides advice and aid in any matter having connection with the electricity industry, transmission, supply, distribution and generation of electricity within its territory.
- It sets suitable code of conduct for all its substations
- It takes care in meeting all the environmental norms and regulations related to electricity industry in all its four zones and 21 districts.
- It manages all ancillary and incidental functions related to electricity sector.
Schemes implemented by PuVVNL
Rajiv Gandhi Gramin Vidyutikaran Yojana - PuVVNL had come up with Rajiv Gandhi Gramin Vidyutikaran Yojana financed by Government of India. The scheme aimed to provide electricity in all the villages of eastern Uttar Pradesh by 2008. As per 2011 report among 27,503 villages in the region, electricity has reached 27,492 villages and among 11,20,568 Below Poverty Level houses, free electricity has been supplied to 8,87,740 houses.
Restructured Accelerated Power Development and Reforms Programme (RAPDRP) – This programme was targeted for urban areas having more than 30,000 population. It aimed at improving customer service and establishing computerized applications for energy auditing ad accounting. The scheme also focussed on establishing baseline data.
Urban Varanasi has witnessed a steady rise in electricity consumption. Energy consumption that was around 2,927 kilowatt (kw) in the last decade has increased to 5, 587kw. Varanasi Nagar Nigam in previous years had to pay approximate Rs16 crore electricity bill to PuVVNL.
Here’s the list of important contacts in PuVVNL
Sri A.P. Mishra
Phone no.: 0542-2318348, 0542 2318437
Vidyut Nagar Hydel Colony
Bhikharipur PO DLW
Sri M. L. Sharma
Phone no.: 0542-2322585
A K Srivastava, S.E.
Chandra Bali E.E (Attach)
Phone no.: 8004925857
V P Singh, E.E.
Phone no.: 9450963529
Ajeet Kumar, E.E.
Phone no.: 9450963530
The toll free customer care number for PuVVNL: 1800-180-5025
Purvanchal Vidyut Vitaran Nigam Limited
Varanasi – 221004
Phone no.: 0542 2318348
- SHARE THIS
- TWEET THIS
- SHARE THIS
- LOVE THIS 0